On its second year, the Visual Abstract Contest will be conducted by the Philippine Society for Medical Oncology in partnership with Merck launches the Visual Abstract Contest. This project aims to increase cancer awareness among Filipinos through visually informative abstracts. In this way, research outputs from peer-reviewed journals and research-driven cancer centers are translated to accessible and understandable, creative formats. Moreover, it is expected that these visual abstracts find home in social media such as Facebook and Instagram, a platform where they are easily shared and accessed.
The contest is open to all creative Filipinos residing in the Philippines. Joining the contest is FREE of charge. Three individuals have an opportunity to win cash prize amounting to P20,000, P10,000, P5,000.
The contest is open to all health professionals (physicians, nurses, social health workers, and the like) and students of health-related course in the Philippines. Joining the contest is free of charge.
● The file names of entries should follow this format: name of contestant_title (i.e. junreyes_lungcancer.jpg).
● All designs submitted shall be created specifically for this Contest and has not been used commercially.
● There is no limit of entry per person or per e-mail address.
● Entrant warrants and represents that they own all rights to the Entry, their Entry is the original work of the Entrant, does not contain any third party designs, does not infringe any third party’s rights, complies with all laws and regulations, and does not contain defamatory statements, or invade privacy, publicity or other rights of any third party. Entries containing prohibited or inappropriate content will be disqualified, as determined by the Company in its sole discretion.
• You may select any published or unpublished research with the following theme:
o Primary and Secondary Prevention in Cancer Care (Preventive Oncology)
o Effects of Multidisciplinary Team in Cancer Treatment
o Cancer Survivorship
o Cancer Nutrition
o Precision Medicine
o Complementary and Alternative Medicine in Cancer Care
The research may not be necessarily your own research. You are just going to convert it to a visual abstract.
• The visual abstract should contain the proper citation of the study. See a sample of visual abstract HERE Or you may check out HOW TO CREATE A VISUAL ABSTRACT
• Visual abstract entries should be submitted together with a copy of the full original research article to [email protected] Please also send your full name, contact number, profession, and institution.
• Deadline of submission of entries is on 14 October 2019
• Winners will be announced on 24 October 2019.
Criteria for Judging:
All visual abstract entries will be judged based on the following:
• Clarity of message – 30%
• Correctness and accuracy of translation – 30%
• Applicability of the abstract and adherence to the theme– 30%
• Impact and Creativity– 10 %
For more information, please email [email protected] or call 723-0101 loc. 5318.
After the contest, all the visual abstracts submitted will become property of the Society.